Thursday, October 27, 2011

Joy Luck Club: Missing Perspectives


I finally finished Joy Luck Club!!! SUCH A GOOD BOOK. Maybe my favorite book ever. Not even kidding. So I thought it would be really good to write about what points of view are missing. Since this entire book is based around points of view of mothers their daughters, it was really hard to come up with what one important one could be. But I finally decided on one, Jing-Mei's mother. 
         In the very first chapter when Jing-Mei is introduced, it is clear that her mother died many years before. This is really different from the rest of the stories, because the rest are completely about the different views of the mothers and daughters. The absence of Jing-Mei's mother's perspective adds a lot to the story. It really made me think about why Jing-Mei was in the book at all, let alone two chapters more than all the other characters. She appears to be the main character, but she is lacking this one huge, important feature.
         Although Jing-Mei's mother's perspective is not shown directly, you can see how her opinions and customs lived on through Jing-Mei. There is only one chapter that shows a time when her mother was alive. In this chapter, it reveals a lot about how her mother acts and what she believes. Jing-Mei may not agree with these beliefs as a child, but as an adult you can't help but notice the similarities between her and her mother.
          I think that Amy Tan excluded Jing-Mei's mother's perspective to create this whole, completely different side of the book. All the other stories include the perspectives of mothers and daughters, and the relationships between them, but once you take away one of their mothers, you get a different feeling about them. Like they need help. Maybe that's not the right word. Does anyone see what I'm getting at?!
                                                         <3 Lulu

No comments:

Post a Comment