Friday, January 20, 2012

Pearl by Ellis Amburn

I am reading Pearl: the Obsessions and Passions of Janis Joplin by Ellis Amburn. Obviously, it is about the obsessions and passions of Janis Joplin. I am not too far into the book yet, but I have to say, it is really interesting already. I never knew much about Janis Joplin, of course I had listened to her music before, but never really knew about her as a person. And I still don't, considering the point I am at in this book. But of what I have read in this book, she seems like a pretty horrible person. I think this is false information. But based on how the people from Port Arthur, her home town, treated her, I would guess that. They really ripped her apart. As a girl in Junior high and High school, she was bullied terribly. All the people would just tease her. No wonder she became a drug addict in later life! And when the author of this book, Ellis Amburn, went to talk to people from Port Arthur about Janis, most people acted like she was a ,murderer or something. They hated her with a fiery passion. One person wouldn't even talk about her! Her pictures were cut out of the yearbooks. It was almost insane.
The hate that these people had for Janis really made me think. Why did they hate her so much? What did she do to them? And then, it hit me. She was 'different'. The world of Port Arthur hated her because of the same reason the Middle School girls hated her. How ridiculous is that???!!! It really made me remember, growing up in such a nice, not so judgmental environment, that some people are not as nice as the ones at MS 51. There are other people out there who will just hate people just to hate people.
So this book is kind of really getting me aggravated, but I'm looking forward to reading it to see if I'm right about why they hate her.

No comments:

Post a Comment