This actually is not the
book I have currently been reading, but I've been thinking a lot about it. I
absolutely love, love, love this book, and I really want to read more Carolyn
Mackler books because I haven't been able to get into a good book lately. So, I
was thinking about it, and figured I would do a post about it. I've been
thinking a lot about how Jena's horrible experience at Paradise helped her grow
as a person.
On a vacation with her mom, her mom's friend,
and her mom's friend's daughter (who Jena hates), she got into a sort of summer
fling with a guy a few years older than her. She was young and had never really
had a relationship before, so she didn't realize that this guy, Dakota, was
playing her. He was just using her for sex. Once the idea of sex was even
brought up, she ran away from Dakota, luckily, but it still was a really
traumatizing experience for her. Later on in the book, when she develops a real
relationship with a guy named Owen, things run a lot smoother. She really likes
him, and he really likes her. It isn't really about just 'hooking up'. I think
that her experience with Dakota gave her the opportunity to have this
relationship with Owen. Had she not gone and done that with Dakota, she may
have still been completely oblivious and done something she didn't want to do
with Owen.
This sort of leads me back to the idea of
'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'. It sounds really corny and cliche,
but this is really a perfect example. Everyone needs to have some bad
experiences to make the good ones good.
I like your point about "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger", because it makes me think that she will never know what's best for her until she've explored her other options, she'll never know who's her Mr.Right until she found the one that she truly love. She should appreciate what she have. It's like the more experience you have with something, the tougher you get.
ReplyDelete