Thursday, February 16, 2012

Style by Lauren Conrad

Lauren Conrad got famous by being on "The Hills", a reality TV show. But when that show was on, I was definitely too young to watch it. And thank god for that. Since I haven't been able to see her as the raging monster she apparently was on "The Hills", I can read her new book, Style, without an already formed opinion on her. I'm really liking this book so far. It isn't a book with a story line, really. Not fiction, not a memoir. Just her thoughts on fashion for the everyday girl. How to shop, how to organize your closet, what basic items you should have in your wardrobe. It's a really cool idea. And everyone who sits around me in ELA and says it's not a real book because it has pictures, don't mess with me.
So it's not really a memoir, but I'm starting to see a lot of similarities between it and a memoir. She adds in all these personal experiences she's had with clothing into the book, and it actually gives you a good picture of what she's like in real life. I mean, just from reading half of this book, I can tell you so much about her. She's practically a hoarder. This one time, she put together this really nice outfit for a date with a cocktail dress and pumps, only to find out they were going bowling. Her closet is a mess. She's had her black pumps that she bought in Paris resoled six times. So after putting a lot of time into deciding what genre this book falls under, I've decided that it's a memoir. Not a traditional memoir, but still a memoir. It's practically her fashion life story. Sure, it isn't in chronological order, but she adds a little life story from her childhood, or her time on "The Hills", or even now, into each chapter.
So that was my pretty much failed attempt at trying to make an actual blog out of a book with no plotline. Woohoo.

1 comment:

  1. I liked how you actually did manage to create a post out of a plot-less book by thinking about other things like what genre it was. It does sound like fun book to read though. Good post!

    ReplyDelete